Re: Triangular meshes

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 03:03:29 MDT

Hi,

Ivica Jan had a similar question. The grid in the GIF image that you
refer to was actually drawn by a Fortran 77 program that calls NCAR Graphics.

Unfortunately we have no way to automatically draw the mesh for
an unstructured grid in NCL, except by generating the triangles as
Ivica mentioned, and using gsn_polyline.

We do have a ticket on this already (NCL-316), which is to add the capability to our "CellFill"
contouring package to draw the cells for triangles. Right now, you can only do
cell fills of rectilinear or curvilinear grids. For an example of this, see
example "orca_2.ncl" at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/orca.shtml
(click on the second thumbnail to see the full image).

I've added this request to V6.2.0, but I can't guarantee we'll get it in by
that version.

Meanwhile, you can look at the Fortran program that created
this GIF image at:

http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu/supplements/conpackt/

Scroll down to "EXAMPLES" and click on "The Example ctcbay.f"

You can generate this example by typing:

    ncargex ctcbay

--Mary