Re: Minor adjustments to a panel plot

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Aug 26 2013 - 10:20:03 MDT

Hi Marston,
Whenever I have a question related to paneling I will first take a look
at the paneling examples page located off of the examples page here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/
("Panel plots", located along the left side of page 1/2 down.)
Of course not everything is covered with the examples, but I usually
find what I need on that page. The answers for your 1st and 4th
questions can be found on that page.

1.) I would like the colorbar to be lower so that the label on the
X-axis (bottom) to be plotted and seen.
   You should set pmLabelbarOrthogonalPosF in your panel resource list.
See example #21 here:
        http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex21

2.) How do I label the longitude (x-axis) similarly to the latitude
(y-axis) label, i.e., (-10W 0 10E)?
     You will want to set tmXBMode = "Explicit", and then set tmXBValues
= (/-10,0,10/) and tmXBLabels = (/"10W","0E","10E"/). This example (#2)
modifies the x-axis labels for a timeseries plot, but the usage of the
above resources is the same:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/tickmarks.shtml#ex2
or, see example #6 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mptick.shtml#ex6

3.) How do I increase the spacing between the gsnLeft/Center/RightString
(s) and the top axis?
      gsnLeftStringOrthogonalPosF / gsnCenterStringOrthogonalPosF /
gsnRightStringOrthogonalPosF
    To see an example of their use, see example 3 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/raster.shtml#ex3

4.) How do I reduce the whitespace between the plots?
    gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent
    See example #6 here:
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex6

Hope that helps!