Re: FW: Anual Mean Precip

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2014 - 14:13:46 MDT

You are not giving enough information for anyone to diagnose your problem.

But if you compare the output of the gpcp_1.ncl example and your output the first evidence of a problem is in the printing of the PRC variable:
The example using the downloadable data the prints:

Variable: PRC
Type: float
Total Size: 15925248 bytes
            3981312 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes: [time | 384] x [lat | 72] x [lon | 144]
Coordinates:
            time: [ 15..11672]
            lat: [-88.75..88.75]
            lon: [1.25..358.75]
Number Of Attributes: 4
  missing_value : -99999
  _FillValue : -99999
  units : mm/day
  long_name : precipitation

whereas with your data it is printing:

> Variable: PRC
> Type: float
> Total Size: 1194393600 bytes
> 298598400 values
> Number of Dimensions: 3
> Dimensions and sizes: [360] x [720] x [1152]
> Coordinates:
> warning:Dimension (1) has not been defined
> warning:Dimension (2) has not been defined

That indicates that the dimensions and coordinates have not been associated with this variable as the example script expects, leading to a series of errors.
You may indeed have the correct latitude information somewhere but it is not associated with variable. That means your input file is different in some important way
from the example input file. It is not hard to create coordinate variables for your data manually but you need to figure out what your data actually does look like.
I suggest running ncl_filedump on your data file and examining the contents. Also please look at the mini-language manual and the Graphics manual available at this page:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

Hope this helps
 -dave