Re: regridding faster with rcm2rgrid?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2014 - 08:57:39 MDT

The 'search algorithm' used in rcm2rgrid is brute force.
It works well enough for smallish arrays but its performance is like
an N^2 sort. It slows significantly as the number of points increases.

---
If you have a "very specific satellite curvilinear grid
to a rectilinear grid" issue, I would suggest using the ESMF
regrid method.
[1] Generate the weight file once.
     This could be slow BUT it is done only once.
[2] Then regrid via ' ESMF_regrid_with_weights'. This is very fast.
[3] http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml
     See examples: 5, 8, 15
Regards