Re: page layout problem

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:17:16 -0700

Hi Dave,

This was tricky to figure out. (My thanks to Mary for an assist.) NCL
determines what space to allocate to each paneled plot by looking at the
size of the first panel (the plot in the leftmost column, top row).

The Y-axis labels in your first and third pages have 2 digits (50.),
while the Y-axis labels in your second page have 3 digits (52.0). (NCL
decided to not print out the 0's on the Y-axis labels for plots 1 for
pages 1+3, and to print them out on page 2. Why? I have no idea.)

Anyway, since the first plot on page 2 is slightly larger (due to the
larger Y-axis labels), NCL allocates more space to the other 11 plots on
the page, and the paneled plot is made smaller.

The fix for this is to eliminate all unwanted 0's in the Y-axis labels,
and example 8 of the tickmark applications page shows how to do this:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/tickmarks.shtml

Add this to your individual plot resource list and page 2 should be
sized comparably to pages 1+3:
res_at_tmYLFormat = "f"

Good luck,
Adam