Re: Small/Medium Circles..

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 09:53:31 MDT

See:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/nggcog.shtml

Try:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"

   clat = new(100,float) ; Create arrays to hold circle.
   clon = new(100,float)
   nggcog(40.,-105.3,7.0,clat,clon)

   wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","nggcog") ; Open X11 workstation.
; Set up some map resources.

   mpres = True
   mpres@gsnMaximize = True ; Maximize size of plot in frame.
   mpres@gsnFrame = False ; Don't advance the frame.
   mpres@mpCenterLonF = -95.
   mpres@mpCenterLatF = 35.

   map = gsn_map(wks, "Orthographic", mpres)
   gsn_polyline(wks, map, clon, clat, False)
   frame(wks)

On 09/29/2011 09:45 AM, Adam Phillips wrote:
> Hi Erick,
> Take a look at the contributed.ncl / shea_util.ncl scripts. Each one
> contains numerous functions, from simple to complex. This is what I do
> when I need to (re)learn how to create a function..
>
> $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl
> $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl
>
> Adam
>

> On 09/29/2011 09:09 AM, Erick Rivera Lemus wrote:
>> David and Adam
>>
>> I appreciate the time you guys took to explain and give me some
>> suggestions. I tried your methods and they work, but they do not reflect
>> what I want to show. Scaling is kinda tricky. So what I am doing is to
>> calculate from a giving lat, lon and the radius (in this case the
>> storm). I am calculating its exact size. It has been a good challenge. I
>> will like to make it into a function but I am not sure how to do it. If
>> you guys are familiar with Matlab there is a function with similar
>> function is called the scircle1. However I based my calculations from an
>> in-house function here at Rutgers done by John Kerfoot that calculates
>> the outerside position given a lat lon and radii.
>>

>> Again I appreciate the help and if you have any suggestion on how to
>> write it into a function will be great.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Erick Rafael Rivera Lemus
>> Software Technician
>> Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences
>> Coastal Ocean Observation Laboratory
>>
>> Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
>> 71 Dudley Road New Brunswick, NJ 08901
>>
>> Office: 848-932-3261
>> Fax: 732-932-8578
>> Cell: 617-447-5106

>> On Sep 28, 2011, at 2:33 PM, David Brown wrote:
>>

>>> I see that Adam has sent an answer concerning how to get a realistic
>>> size for each filled circle. I have just created an example that has a
>>> very crude representation of a possible hurricane track -- 3 locations
>>> only. It modifies the example polyg_8.ncl. Your situation is actually
>>> simpler than polyg_8, because you basically just need to draw one
>>> circle at a time. So you can see that mostly I just removed code from
>>> the original example.
>>> -dave
>>> <track.ncl>

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |