Re: NCL Color Table "Depths" (Green1, Green2, Green3 all equal Green)

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:49:19 -0700

Hi Bill,

Unless you change the colormap that you are using by setting
gsn_define_colormap, your workstation will only be allocated the colors
specified in the default colormap shown here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/default.shtml

So if you don't set gsn_define_colormap, and if you were to specify
"springgreen1", in say, the cnFillColors resource, NCL will try to
choose the color in the default color table that is closest to
"springgreen1". I am guessing that NCL is choosing the same color for
springgreen->springgreen4.

(For numerous examples about how to set different colormaps using
gsn_define_colormap, see here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/color.shtml
In particular, take a look at example 4.)

As a test, if you run the following script, you should get the plot that
I attached:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"

begin
   wks = gsn_open_wks("ps","color")
   colors = (/"SpringGreen","SpringGreen1","SpringGreen2",\
          "SpringGreen3","SpringGreen4","Pink","Pink1",\
          "Pink2","Pink3","Pink4"/)
   gsn_draw_named_colors(wks,colors,(/4,3/)) ; Draw the named colors.
end

If you are specifying your own colormap using gsn_define_colormap, and
still aren't getting the colors then something else is going on here...
Adam

Capehart, William J wrote:
> In working with NCL we’ve been a little disappointed in color table
> “depth” we have been experiencing in that we cannot resolve the full
> range of color advertized in the documentation.
>
> For example, when plotting colors shown at the page
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/named_colors.shtml
>
> “SpringGreen”, and the “SpringGreen1,2,3&4” series are the same “Kermit
> the Frog Green” in any output medium (X11 thru postscript) while colors
> like “Pink” are gray. Also, these colors (or lack of) follow through
> from the screen display to photo quality printers. We seem to only be
> able to resolve a small range of the total available colors (less than
> 256) and closer to the 32 colors in the default hlu_default table no
> matter what we try. This happens on 32- and 64-bit systems.
>
> When I type in the same color combinations into other graphical
> packages, lile IDL, I see the distinct colors that are missing in NCL.
>
> Am I missing an environmental variable or similar setting inside or
> outside NCL that needs to be set?
>
> .Thanks Much!
>
> Bill

> Bill Capehart <_____William.Capehart_at_sdsmt.edu_
> <mailto:William.Capehart_at_sdsmt.edu>> Associate Professor
>
> Institute of Atmospheric Sciences Land Surface Processes
>
> 213 Mineral Industries Building Hydrometeorology
>
> South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph: +1-605-394-1994
>
> 501 East Saint Joseph Street Fax: +1-605-394-6061
>
> Rapid City, SD 57701-3995 Mobile: +1-605-484-5692

Adam Phillips			             asphilli_at_ucar.edu
National Center for Atmospheric Research   tel: (303) 497-1726
ESSL/CGD/CAS                               fax: (303) 497-1333
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000	  http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli