Re: the default 'outline' text option in ncl graphics

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Dec 03 2012 - 08:50:36 MST

Dear Xiuzhen,

If you have Version 6.0.0 or earlier of NCL, then the default font is font 0, which you can see here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/font0.png

This is indeed an outlined font.

If you upgrade to V6.1.0, then the default font will be "helvetica" (font 21) which is a filled font:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/font21.png

To get this font with an earlier version of NCL is easy.

Create a file called ".hluresfile" in your home directory, and put the following line in it:

*Font : helvetica

This will give you the helvetica font (or whatever font you want) for *all* text strings in NCL.

There are other things you can put in the ".hluresfile" to customize your NCL environment. See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml

--Mary