Re: design of paneled bar charts

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 10:52:02 MDT

Hi Kristina,

See example panel_30.ncl (which I just created) at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex30

I think the "hopping" issue may be due to NCL picking different "nice" values for the minimum and maximum of your XY bar charts.

If you want the same min/max for each plot, you need to set

  res@trYMinF
  res@trYMaxF

to whatever values you want to use for all plots.

I'm not sure how you are creating the bar charts and associating them with the map. In other words, did you go with overlays, or gsn_add_annotation, or something else?

As for outlining the bars only: the outline-only resource is for when you are just outlining the bars, and not filling them. I can see that it would be useful to have this resource available for both, however.

You can get the same effect by drawing the second set of bars with a fill color of "transparent". The panel_30.ncl example shows how to do this.

--Mary