Download NCL binaries and/or source code
NCL is available for free as pre-compiled binaries for various UNIX systems or as source code on the Earth System Grid website:
NCL and NCAR Graphics are available as one package and collectively referred to as "NCL".
To download and install NCL on your system, you need to:
- Request an account from the Earth System Grid website (a one-time deal)
- Download the appropriate NCL binaries for your system or the source code
- Install the NCL binaries, or build and install NCL from source code.
- Here is a troubleshooting guide for building NCL from source code.
- Optionally download the RANGS/GSHHS database if you need access to high-resolution map coastlines.
Request an ESG account
The NCL 6.1.2 binaries and source code are hosted on the Earth System Grid (ESG) system.
If this is your first visit to the Earth System Grid, a short registration is required. To register, go to:
and look on the right side of the page under "Quick Links" for "Create Account".
Download source code or the appropriate binaries for your system
- Go to www.earthsystemgrid.org
- Click on "NCL: NCAR Command Language" (bottom middle of page).
- Click on "NCL Version 6.1.2" or the version you're interested in.
- Click on whether you want an OPeNDAP binary, a non-OPeNDAP binary, or source code. If you don't know what OPeNDAP is, then you probably don't need it. For Cygwin, the only binary we have is under the OPeNDAP link.
- Click on "Download Files"
- Enter your account name, something like "https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/myopenid/haley" and then your password.
- Click on "Accept License".
- Click on "Download individual files".
- Click on the "download" button to the right of the filename of interest. This will start downloading the file.
Install the NCL binaries on your system
--- See the full list of available binaries ---
If you downloaded one or more NCL binaries, see the install NCL document on installing your software.
- Linux (i686, x86_64, IA64 systems, gcc/gfortran v4.2.x or later (see Linux notes)
- MacOSX (Intel, 32 and 64 bit) (see MacOSX notes)
- Windows under Cygwin Unix emulator (see Cygwin notes)
Build and install NCL from source code
If you downloaded the NCL source code, see the build NCL from source code document.
Help on installation questions
For questions about installing, building, or porting NCL, post to the email@example.com email list. You will need to subscribe first.
NCL binary and source licenses